彦島 Hikoshima



















 


彦島 Hikoshima
Size 5×8 in, 13×20 cm
88 Pages
ISBN: softcover: 9780368099113
Publish Date Jan 04, 2019
Preview the entirety of the book here.

The images in this book are selected from a body of work made in the south of Japan over the past ten years. I first started photographing on the small island of Hikoshima in the city of Shimonoseki during visits to see my wife’s family. I wanted to walk where she had walked, gradually discovering a sense of place through observation. After my son was born I continued my walks; however, with him strapped to my chest, my camera in one hand, and a baby bottle in the other. My son and I now walk the island together and he often points out things to me that he thinks would make interesting images, in addition to making his own images with a point-and-shoot camera. It is enormous fun, as well as a means for him to connect to the place in which he was born.