Um Naji, Um Dani


Um Naji, Um Dani, 2008, fabric, thread, buttons

This project was a discreet, almost invisible collaboration with Um Naji and Um Dani (mother Naji and mother Dani), the two women who prepared the meals during my stay at a residency in Shatana, Jordan. I wanted to express my gratitude for their delicious cooking, so I commissioned them to design and sew a new set of clothes that they would wear to the open day of the residency. Despite the fact that we could not communicate linguistically, we spent a pleasant afternoon shopping for fabric, thread, and buttons. After purchasing the materials, I paid them 150% of their stated labor costs to ensure that they would make their garments with extra special care. I was not to be disappointed. When I saw them at the opening in their beautiful new outfits, I was enthralled – they looked like movie stars.